Panagiotis Kyriakou specializes in international arbitration, trade, finance and sports law.
Panagiotis has advised private clients, governments and local counsel on arbitral proceedings under ICC, ICSID and UNCITRAL Rules. He has also provided legal and policy advice in relation to international trade matters, including WTO dispute settlement proceedings, subsidies/state aid and regional integration norms. Moreover, Panagiotis has experience in disciplinary proceedings before sports governing bodies, as well as matters pertaining to the annulment, recognition and enforcement of arbitral awards.
Prior to joining Archipel, Panagiotis was a Teaching Assistant at the Graduate Institute of International and Development Studies, while advising governments and private clients as an independent legal consultant. Moreover, he interned with law firms in Geneva, Paris and Athens, and reviewed submissions for the Journal of International Economic Law.
Panagiotis obtained his LL.B. from the National and Kapodistrian University of Athens and his LL.M. from MIDS. Currently, he is completing his doctoral thesis at the Graduate Institute. As a part-time academic, he regularly publishes and delivers guest lectures on international investment, trade and financial law.
- International arbitration
- International trade law
- Sports law
- International financial law
- Evaluated potential BIT claims against states in Central America and the Balkans
- Represented a Middle Eastern government in an ICC construction arbitration
- Advised an investor in relation to an ICSID oil & gas arbitration against a Eurasian state
- Assisted with the conduct of disciplinary investigations/proceedings before a sports governing body
- Assisted an independent panel in producing a report on integrity-related issues for a sports governing body
- Represented a Third Participant in oral hearings before the WTO Appellate Body
- Advised local counsel in relation to an AD/CVD case before a WTO Panel
- Advised local counsel in relation to a trade dispute before a regional integration court
- Advised the World Bank on existing international norms governing subsidies/state aid, as well as future policy options
- Athens Bar Association
- Young ICCA
- “72. DS – 135: European Communities – Measures Affecting Asbestos and Products Containing Asbestos” in Elgar Encyclopedia of Environmental Law – Volume X: Trade and Environmental Law (Elgar, 2021 – forthcoming)
- “Leveraging the Standard of Ex Aequo et Bono to Increase Diversity, Flexibility and Efficiency: Insights from the Basketball Arbitral Tribunal” (with G. Palermo), 38(4) ASA Bulletin (2020)
- “Use of Non-WTO International Law in WTO Dispute Settlement” (with J. Bohanes) in M. T. Molina-Tejeda (ed.), Practical Aspects of WTO Litigation (Kluwer, 2020)
- Note on “Indirect Claims”, Wiki Notes on International Investment Law and Arbitration (Jus Mundi, 2020)
- “Cryptocurrency scam, theft and other misadventures: what prospects for international governance?”, EJIL: Talk! (2020)
- “Revisiting the Dispute Threshold in International Interpretation Proceedings: Deeds, Not Words” (with A. Cottin), 10 Journal of International Dispute Settlement (2019)
- “Mitigating the Risks Entailed in Shareholders’ Claims for Reflective Loss: Suggestions for Investment Treaty Reform”, 19 Journal of World Investment and Trade (2018)
- “Overview of WTO Jurisprudence in 2016” (with J. Bohanes et al.) in M. Krajewski et al. (eds.), Yearbook of International Economic Law 2018 (Springer, 2018)
- “An analysis of the Compensation Regime Applicable to Claims Arising from Armed Conflicts Affecting Investments in the Middle East” (with N. Radjai & L. Halonen), 4 BCDR International Arbitration Review (2017)
- “Does the TTIP Investment Court System Promote the Rule of Law Further than the Traditional ISDS Model?”, Cambridge International Law Journal (2016)
- “Lis Pendens in International Commercial Arbitration”, 20 Vindobona Journal of International Commercial Law and Arbitration (2016)