Jacques-Alexandre Genet specialises in international litigation and asset recovery.
Jacques-Alexandre Genet has world-class expertise in sovereign debt, international enforcement, asset tracing and interim measures. He also advises international businesses on issues arising from doing business in France (company law, tax, immigration, labour laws), the Middle East and Africa (international sales contracts, distributorship/agency agreements, OHADA law, etc.), including in distressed contexts.
He is listed in Who’s Who Legal as a Global Leader in Asset Recovery.
Jacques-Alexandre is a graduate of Sciences Po Paris, where he majored in economics and finance. He graduated in French law and English & American business law at University Paris X-Nanterre.
He lectured at the Sorbonne (University Paris 1 Panthéon-Sorbonne).
Jacques-Alexandre practices in French, English and Spanish.
- Enforcement of foreign judgements & awards
- Sovereign debt
- Asset tracing & recovery
- Multi-Jurisdictional complex litigation
- Interim measures
- International contracts
- Representing a UK company in the enforcement of a UK judgment and of worldwide freezing orders
- Representing an Italian company in the enforcement of an arbitral award against a state-owned entity from Eastern Europe
- Devising and obtaining interim measures not previously ordered by French courts for a European client
- Representing a businessman chased by a foreign market authority
- Representing a businessman chased by a foreign state
- Representing an African company in the enforcement of arbitral awards against an African state
- Representing a hedge fund in the enforcement of multiple awards and judgments against sovereign states
- Representing French creditors in claims against an Eastern European state
- Representing a French company in post-fraud recovery of assets in various offshore and European jurisdictions
- Enforcement of arbitral awards in Europe (Paris Arbitration, Paris, Apr. 2019)
- The enforcement of arbitral awards against States or State-owned entities (CEA, Brussels, Feb. 2019)
- Enforcing Arbitral Awards Against States – Sovereign immunity: the commercial activity exception in French law (IAI, Paris, Oct. 2018)
- Recent Developments in the Enforcement of Awards against States and Sovereign Immunities (CFA-40/CEA-40, Paris, Feb. 2018)
- Anticipating the Non-Enforcement of Judgments and Awards (CREDIMI, Dijon, June 2017)
- Foreign Sovereign Immunity from Enforcement after the Sapin II Law (CRDI, Paris II Panthéon-Assas, Apr. 2017)
- Enforcement around the Asian Region: beyond the NY Convention (GAR Live, Hong Kong, Oct. 2016)
- Sovereign Immunity from Enforcement and Classification of States’ Assets (ICC, Tunis, May 2015)
- ‘Vulture Funds’ and the International Financial System: Is there any value added? (UNCTAD, New York, Dec. 2015)
- International Bar Association
- Emerging Markets Trade Association (EMTA)
- French Arbitration Committee
- French-Arab Chamber of Commerce (CCFA)